If we are looking to lose weight, when successful, we develop diminished energy requirements over time as our metabolism adapts to becoming a smaller individual than it previously was.
Weight loss tends to lead to a decrease in energy expenditure in all the activities that we undertake, partly due to expending less energy for the same movement and this decline seems, from the research, to be proportional to the amount of weight lost. To that end, and considering that there is a proven strong correlation between activity levels and how much fat people gain, it can be super duper beneficial to MOVE MORE!!
Energy burn during exercise IS NOT the key to weight loss – I would strongly suggest NOT taking into consideration the calories your Fitbit says that you have burned during your training session, not least because it is very likely to be pretty inaccurate. There are 23 other hours in the day to ‘ruin’ those exercise efforts if you are trying to lose weight and putting all the emphasis on the hour of exercise you’re carrying out. We go into the gym and train to become fit, healthy and strong, the rest if you have a weight loss goal, is where the big moves are made.
The society in which we live lends itself to very low activity levels but simply MORE WALKING makes a huge difference to our activity levels. The value in walking is so underrated and I’m here to preach to you to just walk more!
Some ideas as to how you can implement this into your life, not just if you have a weight loss goal but any health related goal:
· Walk to work
· Walk during your lunch break
· Pop a treadmill in front of the tele
· Walk with the family after dinner
· Mow the lawn
· Take the stairs
· Park further away
· Walk to a colleagues desk instead of emailing them or calling them from across the room
· Get off the bus a stop early
· Get a dog (as if we needed another excuse for canine friends!!)
· Use a pedometer for accountability and feedback
· Use a walk and work desk
· Implement walk and talk meetings
· Take mini walk breaks from your desk just to walk about the building
Let us know what you get up to or if you have any other bright ideas!